Premier League news: Everton boss David Moyes makes transfer plea ahead of Crystal Palace clash
Everton manager David Moyes says the club are still looking to add several more players before the summer transfer window slams shut on September 1.
The Toffees have made five permanent signings so far, with two of those deals for players who were previously on loan, spending around £74 million in the process.
Despite that activity, Moyes is desperate to further strengthen his squad ahead of what is expected to be another gruelling Premier League season.
CEO Angus Kinnear, meanwhile, has defended the club’s caution in the transfer market.
Moyes wants more additions
Asked about Everton’s plans for the remainder of the transfer window, Moyes said on Sky Sports: “We’re still needing quite a few players to add to the squad – I’d like to do more if possible.
“We need to see how the remaining few weeks go. We’re well aware of what’s required, and we’re working hard to try and make it happen.
“I’m pleased that the players were brought in. You have to remember, two of them were already here last year, so we’ve just made them permanent [Tyrique George and Merlin Röhl].
“I think it’ll take Hayden [Hackney] a little bit of time to adapt from the Championship to the Premier League, which quite often it does for players coming from the Championship.
“Christian [Nørgaard] is very experienced and will help us replace Idrissa Gana [Gueye]. Unfortunately, he’s injured at the moment.
“And Brennan [Johnson] just came in on the back of the swap deal for Dwight [McNeil].
“We’re putting things together, but we certainly feel behind the scenes that we’ve got a long way to go and want to do an awful lot more.”
Kinnear defends transfer caution
Amid the Toffees’ transfer struggles, Kinnear added: “I don’t think we are in a bad position.
“The players we thought we had the option of are still available for us – I don’t think they will be there for Crystal Palace, which was the objective.
“I’m confident that we’ll bring a right-back in. It’s a position we’ve needed. I think Jake [O’Brien] has done a sterling job for us in that position.
“It was something that we were trying to do last summer and didn’t feel that we could get the quality in, so a right-back was top priority in the window.
“We would have liked to have got it done earlier. I understand the fans’ frustrations. I understand how they see it as being critical.
“Even the Prime Minister [Andy Burnham] chipped in to give us some helpful direction, so it’s reached a level of national importance.
“So, we are working hard to bring one in and I’m sure we will. I’m sure it will be an improvement and it will round off the squad nicely.”
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Transfer news: Man Utd close to £60m deal for Carlos Baleba