F1 news: Lando Norris weighs in on the future of new regulations

Lando Norris

McLaren F1 driver Lando Norris has given another damning verdict on the future of the 2026 F1 regulations 

With three races now done and dusted, and a four-week gap until the next race, could further discussions about potential changes to the regulations be had in the meantime?

Sport New Blitz’s Oscar Trinick has more on this ongoing controversy.

The state of the sport

After three races of the 2026 F1 season, it's safe to say that many fans have been dissatisfied with the new regulation changes, with most calling the racing “artificial” now. 

The drivers seem just as dissatisfied.

The biggest changes to this included a 50/50 power unit split, with battery power coming more to the forefront, as the overtake and boost functions play a vital part in how overtaking is conducted now.

Norris’ comments

McLaren driver Lando Norris hinted toward the fact that the FIA don’t care about the drivers’ opinions, as he told Viaplay: “There’s no point in saying it, honestly. It doesn’t matter what we say.

“Because as long as the fans enjoy it, that’s all that matters.”

Even after the interviewee told him that driver input and enjoyment mattered, he replied with: “Clearly not.”

READ MORE: Why Aston Martin have struggled so far this season

An uncertain future

Even after adjustments were made to battery deployment just before qualifying at Suzuka, the drivers felt that this had little impact on the overall state of things.

The changes included dropping the energy recharge from nine megajoules to eight megajoules in hopes that less energy would be required to power the battery on a straight, also combating what they call ‘super-clipping’.

Four-time world champion and Red Bull racing driver Max Verstappen has also hinted at his possible retirement from the sport, with his ongoing criticism seeming to only increase week by week, regardless of his and his team's performance.

This could just be a play to force the FIA into some future changes, as we know his name draws in a large audience for the sport.

He has become a prominent figure over the last decade, meaning his departure from the sport could be costly to viewership. 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Why the international break could be a turning point for Liverpool FC

Sports News Blitz writer

Sports News Blitz has a large team of content writers who cover football, horse racing, F1, cricket, golf, darts, boxing, MMA, women’s sport, betting news and more.

Previous
Previous

Monday Night Raw analysis: CM Punk’s revenge and new champions crowned in an action-packed night

Next
Next

NFL news: Nick Sirianni and Howie Roseman on A.J. Brown’s future: ‘Nothing’s changed there’